Re: Parallel remote kernel: MathLink connection not active

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121604] Re: Parallel remote kernel: MathLink connection not active
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 07:24:19 -0400 (EDT)

It looks me to like what you're trying to do is to hook up a kernel launched
with the -subkernel option to a front end.  Is that right?

If so, then what you're trying to do is (or should be) a violation of the
license agreement.  In the terms of the license agreement,  what you're calling
a "parallel" kernel is a "Computation Process".  The only way you should be
accessing a Computation Process is through the various kernel parallel
processing commands, issued by a legitimate "Controlling Process" kernel.

If you have typical single-machine licenses, then you have 2 Controlling
Processes and 4 Computation Processes per system.  Any front end you are
interactively using has got to be talking to one of the 2 Controlling Process
kernels.

The language of the license agreement can be a bit confusing on this point...in
part because the front ends are also split into Controlling and Computation
Processes.  That's because a Computation Process kernel may require rendering
services, which means that it would launch a Computation Process front end. But
that front end is not interactive...it's purely used to fulfill computational
services.

Along with the legal language, there is some enforcement of this policy built
into the technology.  That is what you're running into.

If what you meant, instead, was that you were trying to issue this as a
command-line to something like LaunchKernels[], then including a fuller record
of your Mathematica input and what you're trying to do might be helpful.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group