Re: simplify Arg[E^(I x)]?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg125768] Re: simplify Arg[E^(I x)]?
- From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
- Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 03:39:46 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- References: <201203310842.DAA12986@smc.vnet.net>
- Reply-to: murray at math.umass.edu
First, I presume you just made a typo in your message -- it should be FullSimplify, with an upper-case S, of course. Second, one reason the expression doesn't simplify to x is that such a result would be wrong! For example: Arg[Exp[(2 Pi + Pi/2) I]] has value Pi/2 rather than 2 Pi + Pi/2. On 3/31/12 4:42 AM, Neal Becker wrote: > Why doesn't this simplify? > > Fullsimplify[Arg[E^(I x)], x \[Element] Reals] > > I expect to get 'x'. > > Is there some way I can get this to simplify? > -- Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu Mathematics & Statistics Dept. Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H) University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W) 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801 Amherst, MA 01003-9305