Re: gives

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125910] Re: gives
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 06:00:52 -0400 (EDT)

ClearAll[PDD, try, t, z, aa];

PDD[a_?NumericQ, idx_] := 0;

t = aa PDD[z, d];

try[expr_] := Replace[expr, aa_. PDD[bb_, cc_] :> -bb PDD[aa, cc]];

Simplify[t, TransformationFunctions :> {try}]

0

The default value for aa in aa_. PDD[bb_, cc_] is one. Consequently,
PDD[z, d] by itself matches the LHS of the rule and becomes -z PDD[1,
d] which evaluates to zero. Note the behavior if the default is
removed:

try[expr_] := Replace[expr, aa_ PDD[bb_, cc_] :> -bb PDD[aa, cc]];

Simplify[t, TransformationFunctions :> {try}]

aa PDD[z, d]

Bob Hanlon