What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how

In other languages like C++, _ is a kosher character to be in variable names.  It is not in mathematica, so things like "my_first_variable" don't work.  I have been using a ` to separate out the words to get things like my`first`variable, but now realize it is creating other issues due to the scoping it introduces.

Are there are other characters I can use to separate out words in variable names?

Thanks