NDSolve is really slow in version 8 but not 7

Hi All,

I'm using NDSolve to solve a set of roughly 40 first order differential equations. It takes about 10 seconds in version 7 but more like 850 in version 8. Does anyone know why this might be and how I can speed things up?

Also for one scenario I'm getting the error

NDSolve::"ndsz" :  ""At "\[NoBreak]t\[NoBreak]" == "\[NoBreak]39.77534338386624`\[NoBreak]", step size is \
effectively zero; singularity or stiff system suspected."

I realise its difficult to help without me giving an example but its a bit tricky to do so. Are there any standard tricks I could try?

Many thanks,

Jonny