Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126038] Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 04:54:03 -0400 (EDT)

\[Breve]

For such things, in the Mathematica front end, just open the Special
Characters palette. When you locate the character you want and mouse
over it, you'll see a display of its short-cut abbreviation (with Esc).
To see the "purely ascii" form (with \[...]), just select the cell in
the notebook where you've typed the character with the Esc sequence --
or just inserted it from the menu -- and change the display of that cell
to reveal the underlying expression (on Mac, this is Cmd Shift E).

(Sorry my original version of this message was truncated when I sent it.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305