Re: computing derivatives and limits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126080] Re: computing derivatives and limits
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at me.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 03:18:20 -0400 (EDT)

> f[x_] := Cos[Sqrt[x]]
> But asking for the derivative at 0 is asking for trouble:
>  Power::infy: Infinite expression 1/Sqrt[0] encountered.

I don't have an answer.  In addition to your observation, I wish FullSimplify would try to use the Sinc Function.
I've never seen it do this automatically.

f[x_]:=Cos[Sqrt[x]]

(f[x+d]-f[x]) / d;

Limit[%,d->0]  //FullSimplify

-(Sin[Sqrt[x]]/(2 Sqrt[x]))

I wish FullSimplify would simplify this to

-Sinc[Sqrt[x ]] / 2

The advantage is that no further limits are required:

-(1/2)

Otherwise, one needs to use Limit again:

Limit[-(Sin[Sqrt[x]]/(2*Sqrt[x])),   x -> 0]

-(1/2)

Dana DeLouis   :>)
Mac & Math 8