Accessing results in ParallelDo

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126093] Accessing results in ParallelDo
  • From: Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at me.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 06:10:06 -0400 (EDT)

I have been experimenting with parallel computing on Mathematica 8 on a two core MacBook Pro but I can't figure how to access to the results calculated in ParallelDo. Here is a a simple loop that builds a list b by appending random numbers. This runs fine and prints list b as it is generated in each of the two kernels. However, when I ask for b at the end of the loop I get b={}.

ClearAll["Global`*"];
CloseKernels[];
LaunchKernels[];

NoP = 4;
b = {};
ParallelDo[
  b = Append[b, RandomInteger[{1, NoP}]];
  Print["b = ", b],
  {i, 1, 4}
  ];
Print["Final result: b=", b]

b = {4}   <---kernel 2 (my annotation)
b = {3}   <---kernel 1

b = {4,2}   <---kernel 2
b = {3,3}   <---kernel 1

Final result: b={}

My question is, how do I pass the results of ParallelDo into a variable outside the loop?

Thanks