Problems with Graph

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126109] Problems with Graph
  • From: "Ernst H.K. Stelzer" <ernst.stelzer at physikalischebiologie.de>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:53:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

my question is concerned with the Graph functionality, which was newly impl=
emented in Mathematica 8.  I already used GraphPlot and LayeredGraphPlot in the previous implementation and in principle appreciate the new capabilities.  How ever, I still wonder if the implementation is complete.  E.g. in the code below, I try to use VertexCoordinates for each vertex, which according to the documentation for Graph, should work.

vertices1 = {Property[
    1, {VertexCoordinates -> {0, 3}, VertexSize -> 0.3}],
   Property[2, VertexCoordinates -> {1, 2}],
   Property[3, VertexCoordinates -> {3, 3}]};

Graph[vertices1, {1 \[UndirectedEdge] 2, 2 \[UndirectedEdge] 3},
 GraphLayout -> {"LayeredDrawing", "LayeredLeft"}]

Other Options within Property, e.g. VertexSize, work correctly.  VertexCoordinates has no effect whatsoever.  VertexCoordinates will work as an option for Graph, but not as a Property for a particular vertex.

My other concern relates to GraphLayout and in particular to the Suboption "PackingLayout", which seems to have no influence whatsoever.  E.g. if use "LayeredDrawing", the Suboptions "LayeredLeft" or "LayeredTop" create the same Graph.

What is your experience?

Sincerely

    Ernst