Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126166] Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:07:02 -0400 (EDT)

It's because Sin[1] is regarded by Mathematica as an exact expression.
Mathematica can often do manipulations with exact expressions and obtain
exact results. Mathematica does not convert then to approximate numbers
until you use N on them, or mix them with approximate numbers.

Sin[1] // N
0.841471

And remember that the purpose of N is to convert exact numbers to
approximate numbers and not to format numbers. To format numbers for display
use NumberForm.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Eduardo Fontana [mailto:prof.eduardofontana at gmail.com]

Once in a while a face a problem with Mathematica in which I cannot get a
straightforward numerical output.
I have a function defined in mathematica, I try to evaluate the function
with numerical arguments and mathematica returns a replica of my function
with the same arguments. It must be something I set without noticing. I
cannot get numerical results at all.

In another instance, I have a summation of about 1000 terms defined as a
function of 3 arguments. When I use numerical arguments, instead of
Mathematica calculating a numerical result it generates a symbolic output
with all 1000 terms. Even if a try something very simple such as
In[1]: Sin[1]
the output is
Out[1]: Sin[1]
Could anyone give me a clue on this?