overlay and show commands

I have installed Mathematica on a Linux platform and when I try to plot a list of data (listplot) and a function (plot) on the same plot, the output is a list of dictionary definitions of show or overlay. But it plots them separately using those same commands. Does anyone know what is happening.
Thanks.