Visualizations of homeomorphism of a square

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126267] Visualizations of homeomorphism of a square
  • From: Andrew Clifford <andykabandilly2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 05:24:05 -0400 (EDT)

Letting S be the unit square, I want to find a way of visualizing a
homeomorphism, say f, of it. For example, assume f:S->S is defined
f(x,y)=(x^2,y^2). One way to give a student an idea of what this
function does is to draw a picture of say a circle or a rabbit in the
unit square, and then see what happens under the image of f.

I am hoping to find a way to get mathematica to draw both the preimage
and image. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew