Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127518] Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 04:46:21 -0400 (EDT)

On 27/07/2012 09:57, djmpark wrote:
> Thanks for mentioning the Conrad Wolfram Ted Talk.
>
> http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/conrad_wolfram_teaching_kids_real_math_with
> _computers.html
>
> I think Conrad's talk was correct in the main points, glib about the
> difficulties, correct about the potential.
>
> 1) The first point is that Mathematica is difficult. There is a long
> learning curve. Therefore students headed for careers with technical content
> should start learning Mathematica early, long before they have to tackle
> difficult mathematical material. The students would learn some mathematics
> as they are learning Mathematica but it is a question as to what subjects
> should be treated when the main objective is to learn Mathematica. (If the
> aim is to learn real mathematics John Stillwell's "Numbers and Geometry"
> might be a good source of material.)
>
> 2) The test of having skill with Mathematica is the ability to turn real
> world problems into Mathematica specifications - one of Conrad's points. I
> call it flying solo, as opposed to copying someone else's code.
>
> 3) Conrad disparages learning math by hand with paper and pencil. I would
> rather co-opt the paradigm. Don't think of Mathematica as a super graphical
> calculator, or as a programming language (although it is in part these
> things) but think of it as a piece of paper on which you are writing your
> ideas, exploring them and presenting them. It is indeed a magic piece of
> paper with its active calculation, memory and dynamics - but still a piece
> of paper.
>
> 4) This means that students should also learn how to use the Sectional
> structure of notebook and discuss their material and its development in Text
> cells. It means that material will often have to be presented in stages with
> multiple definitions and derivations, graphical presentations and dynamic
> presentations. One cannot often present coherent material in a single
> Manipulate statement with lots of Sliders.
>
> 5) I didn't quite follow the example that Conrad presented in place of a
> test. I'm not certain if the student was just to use the dynamic
> presentation or if  he was to design and implement it. The first might not
> be especially instructive and the second might be too difficult. In any
> case, I would say that the tests or homework should be in the form of essay
> questions using the techniques of the preceding point. If a student writes
> an essay notebook he has something to keep, refer to in the future, and show
> off.
>
> 6) The analogy of jumping over a chasm is one I presented on MathGroup in
> 2008. http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2008/Nov/msg00714.html
>
> 7) In general, the entire topic of using Mathematica in education is quite
> difficult because the capabilities that Mathematica brings are so
> revolutionary. It is all too easy to be unconsciously mired in old paradigms
> or to fall into the pit of "computer junk". In some cases full-fledged
> [...]

I hesitate to jump into this debate because although I leaned
mathematics as part of my undergraduate and PhD work in chemistry, I
have not used it in earnest throughout the rest of my career.

In general, I feel that Conrad's ideas go rather too far. Part of the
value of obtaining symbolic solutions to integrals by hand (say), is
that it somehow makes the student more comfortable with the concept of
an integral. Something similar applies to other mathematical concepts.
The mechanism is probably more psychological than logical, but no less
real for that.

It is also said that some researchers will browse alternative
statistical methods available in a software package - simply hoping to
find one that will make their data significant! That can't be an
approach to maths that is worth encouraging!

Nevertheless, there does seem to be a tendency to impose unnecessary
mathematical rigor in some subjects, that just gets in the way of using
the material. For example, how many people have picked up a book on
wavelets, hoping to discover if they would help in their problem, only
to find themselves drowning in theorems and lemmas. These things are
meant to be practically useful, but often there is no guide as to which
of the scores of methods work best, and are worth spending time to
understand!

Other books and papers seem to impose unnecessary mathematical rigor,
just to appear impressive. How many times have you read "x \[Element] R,
where R is the field of real numbers", when x is self evidently a
floating point number, and no use is made of field theory in the
material. Pointless tricks like that serve only to intimidate.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk