  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg127545] ListContourPlot
  • From: "Nicholas Kormanik" <nkormanik at>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 04:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

I've been attempting to create a contour plot within Mathematica 8.04.

I posted to the Mathematica StackExchange, but didn't get a conclusive

Hopefully someone here can assist.

Here is a link to the data file:

Here is a link to an example contour plot, made in another program (SAS):

In case the files do not make it through to you, the data file is an Excel
.xls file with three columns, X,Y,Z.  Z in the contour plot would be shown
by contours or a gradient of colors.

If a contour plot isn't possible, perhaps ListPlot3D?

The key sticking points are to get the data into Mathematica, and then to
create the plot.

The process is far from straight-forward.  Definitely a learning curve

Unfortunately the Mathematica documentation almost exclusively gives
examples using functions and distributions, not standard data columns for

Nicholas Kormanik