Re: Evaluation of a whole notebook from another one

Am 04.08.2012 12:26, schrieb Dr. Robert Kragler:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question:
>
> There is a nb-file, say "Source.nb", which is called and should be evaluated as
> a whole (containing several procedures in a group of input cells) from another
> nb-file, say "Application.nb" which needs these procedures for further
> calculations.
>
> Within "Application.nb" the notebook "Source.nb" is correctly opened and pops up
> by NotebookOpen["filepath\Source.nb"]. It is, of course, possible to evaluate
> the cell group manually but the idea is to do this automatically and then return
> after evaluation to the calling nb-file "Application.nb" and close "Source.nb"
> using NotebookClose["filepath\Source.nb"].
>
> I miss a command such as NotebookEvaluate[...]. The commands EvaluationNotebook
> and SelectionEvaluate are not just doing what I want. Suggestions are appreciated.
>
> R. Kragler

Which version are you using? Since Version 8 there is exactly that function:

?NotebookEvaluate
NotebookEvaluate[notebook] evaluates all the evaluatable cells in
notebook. >>

On the other hand, I'm almost sure that it's not the best possible way
to have your "library" in the form of a notebook to be evaluated. Maybe
you want to have a look at how to organize your code into package-files
with proper use of Contexts (or namespaces), see e.g. the documentation
of BeginPackage and EndPackage...

hth,

albert