Surface Smoothing

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg127604] Surface Smoothing
  • From: "Nicholas Kormanik" <nkormanik at>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 04:38:29 -0400 (EDT)

This is a follow-up to a post I made last week (included at bottom).

My ListPlot3D output is pretty spiky, with spikes extending above and below.
Quite hard to get a sense where any "sweet spots" might exist -
"neighborhood average" relatively high.

I've looked into using the various forms of Interpolate.  None of those will
"smooth the surface," as they all require passing through the original data

I'm wondering if any of you might know of a third-party Mathematica package
that will do surface smoothing?

Please guide me to such package, if you do.  Or if you know of another
approach that'll get the job done.