Re: Surface Smoothing

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg127638] Re: Surface Smoothing
  • From: "Nicholas Kormanik" <nkormanik at>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 03:53:03 -0400 (EDT)

Good point, Kevin.

The spiky behavior does make things rather scary.

By incorporating additional factors (beyond the two in the contour map) I
hope to minimize the bad spikes, and maximize the good ones.  For now,
though, I hope to find a relatively decent "neighborhood," should such
actually exist - i.e., the "sweet spot."

An analogy might be:  A dangerous minefield.  If I absolutely have to walk
through it, I'd like to try to ascertain the path with the lowest
probability of being blown up.

Nicholas Kormanik