Find Position of many elements in a large list.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg127670] Find Position of many elements in a large list.
- From: benp84 at gmail.com
- Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 04:22:21 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
I have a sorted, 1-dimensional list X of 1,000,000 integers, and a sorted, 1-dimensional list Y of 10,000 integers. Most, but not all, of the elements of Y are also elements of X. I'd like to know the positions of the elements in X that are also in Y. What's the fastest way to compute this?
I have an algorithm in mind but it requires lots of custom code and I'm wondering if there's a clever way to do it with built-in functions. Thanks.
Prev by Date:
Next by Date:
How to use Pick; Is this a bug?
Previous by thread:
Re: Drawing a Line From One Plot to Another
Next by thread:
Re: Find Position of many elements in a large list.