Re: Importing xlsx spreadsheet data into Mathematica,

On 17/08/2012 08:45, Alan Beilis, Ph.D. wrote:
> Thanks Nigel,
>
> If I understand correctly, you're pointing out that Mathematica,
> Version 8 does this. I understand that. I was wondering if there were
> a workaround using Mathematica,, Version 7 to read an xlsx file (I
> really don't want to have to purchase an upgrade just for this
> problem).

XLSX files are often big - their main advantage over XLS files is that
the size restrictions have been raised. In my experience the import of
XLSX files with Mathematica 8 is excessively slow.

I ended up decoding the XLSX file (which is actually a ZIP file of a
bunch of XML files) 'manually' using Java.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk