Re: Luke's list of mathematica questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127896] Re: Luke's list of mathematica questions
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 04:11:07 -0400 (EDT)

Answers to two of your questions interspersed below. (Probably was a bad idea to ask so many questions all at once. Granularity is good!)

On Aug 29, 2012, at 1:11 AM, luke wallace <lukewallace1990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. How do you make section text expand the cell (or group, I'm not sure of the correct term) when clicked, instead of having to click the tiny triangle to the left?=85

Move the cursor to the right of the current cell and you should see a cell bracket (in case it's not already there). If the cell bracket is actually enclosing a group of cells (or groups), it will have a small hook at its bottom. Select that cell bracket and double-click it.

You refer to "the tiny triangle to the left". By default, you would never see such a GroupOpener. Either your notebook is using a style sheet where the option ShowGroupOpener has been applied to the Section (or Subsection, etc.), cells involved, or else a GroupOpener was explicitly added to that Section  (or Subsection, etc.).

> 4. What are your tips and tricks for newbies learning how to do stuff in mathematica? For example, one trick I learned is to use the Cell->Show Expression hotkey (Shift+Ctrl+E) to steal low-level code of things I don't understand yet and paste them into other things and figure out what they do. I'm looking for more 'tricks'.
>
> -What are your favorite mathematica resources? Are there websites that have libraries of resources such as custom stylesheets, or add-ons for mathematica for free?

Take a look at the following post to mathematica.stackexchange.com:

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/18/where-can-i-find-examples-of-good-mathematica-programming-practice

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts                  413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                      fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305