v9: variable name colour?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg128908] v9: variable name colour?
  • From: Gordon Robertson <grobertson at>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 04:06:48 -0500 (EST)
In v8 (on OS X), the name of a variable that did not have a value assigned
was blue, and it changed to black when a value had been assigned to it. This was simple and very handy.

After a day of using v9, all user-defined variables seem to be blue, period.

Preferences | Appearance | Other offers 'Global symbols that had no value assigned' as blue by default. But if I type in and execute something simple like: aVariable=2, the variable name is blue before and after I've assigned it the value 2.

I'd prefer to have a distinct colour for variable with no value assigned. Am I missing something simple? Apologies if I am.

Gordon Robertson
Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre
BC Cancer Agency
Vancouver BC Canada<>