Interactively placing points onto 3D surfaces

Howdy folks.

Could someone please help smash thru my current brick wall?

I generate 3D surfaces from medical anatomy files (".off" files). I would like to be able to scroll the mouse over the surface & click to set an interactive point on the surface, & have the program be able to read the {x,y,z} coordinates of the new point.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much.

Tom