TrigReduce: controlling the scope
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg129061] TrigReduce: controlling the scope
- From: alan <alansbarnett at verizon.net>
- Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 02:25:05 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have an expression that is a sum of products of trignometric functions. Each term is something like this:
Sin[alpha] Cos[omega tau1] Cos[omega tau2] Cos[beta]. (1)
I want to apply trig identities to the terms that contain omega to transform them into trig functions of sums and differences, but I don't want the same transformation applied to the terms involving alpha and beta. For example, I want to express (1) as
(1/2) Sin[alpha] Cos[beta](Cos[omega(tau1 - tau2)]+Cos[omega(tau1 + tau2)])
If I apply TrigReduce to (1), I get terms like
Cos[omega tau1 - omega tau2 + alpha - beta].
How do I restrict the action of TrigReduce to terms containing omega?
(I can do a hybrid calculation by cutting and pasting the terms I want, but I'd rather not have to cut and paste by hand).
Prev by Date:
Re: Mathematica 188.8.131.52 for windows crash
Next by Date:
Previous by thread:
Re: Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files
Next by thread:
Re: TrigReduce: controlling the scope