Programmatically specifying parameters in "Manipulate" command

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129145] Programmatically specifying parameters in "Manipulate" command
  • From: abed.alnaif at gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 02:36:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello,
Is there a way to specify the parameters for the "Manipulate" command as a string or list? I'd like to do this since I am trying to build a "framework" that makes use of the Manipulate command, and which can be used with several different types of parameters. Using one of the examples from the documentation to illustrate my point:

This works, and illustrates what I'm trying to do:
Manipulate[Plot[Sin[a x + b], {x, 0, 6}], {a, 1, 4}, {b, 0, 10}]

However, I'd like the parameters to be a variable:
This doesn't work:

parameters = "{a,1,4},{b,0,10}";
Manipulate[Plot[Sin[a x + b], {x, 0, 6}], ToExpression[parameters]]

And neither does this:

parameters = {{a, 1, 4}, {b, 0, 10}};
Manipulate[Plot[Sin[a x + b], {x, 0, 6}], parameters]

Is there a way to specify the parameters as a variable in the Manipulate command?

Thank you,

Abed