Re: Usage Messages in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129295] Re: Usage Messages in Mathematica
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:13:26 -0500 (EST)

No, on my system (M9, Windows 7) the first time

is evaluated I obtain a usage message with quotes around it. If the same
statement is evaluated again the quotes go away. Of course, it is the first
evaluation that the user will see.

David Park
djmpark at

From: Bob Hanlon [mailto:hanlonr357 at]

Using both Format and usage messages seems to work.

Format[f[n_, x_]]:=
    Subscript[f, n][x];
f::usage="f[n, x] gives " <>
    ToString[f[n, x], StandardForm]<>".";

f[n, x]

f[n, x]//TraditionalForm

Format[g[n_, a_, x_]]:=
    Power[Subscript[g, n], a][x];
g::usage="g[n, a, x] gives " <>
    ToString[g[n, a, x], StandardForm]<>".";

g[n, a, x]

g[n, a, x]//TraditionalForm

Bob Hanlon

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murray at>