Is it safe to go into a Dialog during a parallel computation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124695] Is it safe to go into a Dialog during a parallel computation?
  • From: Szabolcs HorvÃt <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 03:47:43 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone have experience with going into a Dialog[] during a
parallel computation?  Is there a risk that the subkernels will time
out trying to send results while I am inspecting the kernel state in
the master kernel?

For those not familiar with dialogs, it is possible to interrupt
Mathematica during a computation (Evaluatin -> Interrupt
Evaluation...), go into a "dialog" and inspect the kernel state
evaluating arbitrary commands.  Then it's possible to return by
evaluating Return.

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Dialog.html

I am worried that if I interrupt a *long* parallel computation to see
what is happening, something MathLink-related might time out in a
subkernel while I am working in the master kernel.

If anyone has experience with such things, I'd appreciate if you could share it.

Szabolcs