Is it safe to go into a Dialog during a parallel computation?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg124695] Is it safe to go into a Dialog during a parallel computation?
- From: Szabolcs HorvÃt <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 03:47:43 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Does anyone have experience with going into a Dialog during a parallel computation? Is there a risk that the subkernels will time out trying to send results while I am inspecting the kernel state in the master kernel? For those not familiar with dialogs, it is possible to interrupt Mathematica during a computation (Evaluatin -> Interrupt Evaluation...), go into a "dialog" and inspect the kernel state evaluating arbitrary commands. Then it's possible to return by evaluating Return. http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Dialog.html I am worried that if I interrupt a *long* parallel computation to see what is happening, something MathLink-related might time out in a subkernel while I am working in the master kernel. If anyone has experience with such things, I'd appreciate if you could share it. Szabolcs