Insets don't line up properly with Axes?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124796] Insets don't line up properly with Axes?
  • From: Mark Green <p0073857 at brookes.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 04:03:27 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to create slides to represent the nesting of coordinate
systems for vector objects.  Here's what I've got so far:

BigLabeled[thing_, label_] := Labeled[thing, TraditionalForm[label],
LabelStyle -> FontSize -> 50];
DemoSpaceShip := Line[{
    {{-2, -1}, {2, -1}},
    {{-2, -1}, {-1, 0}},
    {{2, -1}, {1, 0}},
    {{-1, 0}, {-1, 2}},
    {{1, 0}, {1, 2}},
    {{-1, 2}, {0, 3}},
    {{1, 2}, {0, 3}}
    }];
SpaceshipWithAxes := Graphics[DemoSpaceShip, Axes -> True, AxesStyle -
> Red];
GraphicsRow[{
  BigLabeled[Show[SpaceshipWithAxes, ImageSize -> Scaled[0.7]],
   "Local CS"],
  BigLabeled[
   Graphics[Inset[SpaceshipWithAxes, {2, 2}, {0, 0}, {4, 4}],
    Axes -> True, PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {0, 5}},
    ImageSize -> Scaled[0.7]], "Nested CS"]
  }]

So the output does show the spaceship's local coordinate system
centered at (2,2) in the world coordinate system.  But - the axes
aren't quite the same scale. They don't line up properly, especially
along the vertical axes.  I'm not quite sure why this would be, given
that the spaceship's height is given as (4,4) in the target coordinate
system which should mean it corresponds correctly.

Is there a better way of doing this or a way of making the axes line
up?