Run external programs in parallel on OSX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124872] Run external programs in parallel on OSX
  • From: phillman5 <phillman5 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:53:57 -0500 (EST)

I have an external program I need to run via Mathematica many times,
on different cores so they all run in parallel.  Mathematica generates
the input file for the external program.  What I did before was to
generate a batch file for Windows, each line starting with START, then
execute this batch file manually.  This would cause each line to open
a new 'terminal', so each command line would be on a different core/
processor.   I'd like to do the same on my quad core mac, but all
within Mathematica.  I tried to paralyze the RUN calls, but I think
each run is still using the same 'terminal' window?  I also tried
duplicating the executable with many names and calling each in the
paralyzed loop with the run statement, but no better, I only see only
one processor/core working at a time.   I think each command sent to
OSX waits till that last has completed.  So what I think I need is to
execute the RUN command in Mathematica but each time to a different
shell or something so four instances will run in parallel.  I don't
want Mathematica to wait till until the RUN command has finished to
start the next.

any help would be appreciated.