Controlling # Processors Used by MathKernel?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125000] Controlling # Processors Used by MathKernel?
  • From: Mark Suhovecky <suhovecky at nd.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 06:24:15 -0500 (EST)

We're running Mathematica 8.0.1 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7. This
is an HPC cluster environment, so most folks run Mathematica scripts
in batch using the format  math -script example.m

My usersr are not doing explicit Parallel programming yet, but I've
noticed that some mathematica scripts, when run, take up all all of
the cores available on a machine, i.e. - a top command will show
MathKernal using 800%
on an 8 core machine.

Is it possible to tell Mathematica how many cores it's restricted to
on a machine, rather than having it grab them all?

I've tried adding

Unprotect[$ProcessorCount];ProcessorCount=2;

to my initfile- no difference. I've also tried adding that to the
start of the script, to no effect.

If anyone's been able to do this, I'd appreciate knowing how.

Thanks,

Mark