Probability Distribution Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125172] Probability Distribution Function
  • From: Niles <niels.martinsen at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 04:18:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi

I have a probablity distribution (Maxwell-Boltzmann) giving the
probability of a classical particle having some velocity v. Now, what
I have is a function to calculate the trajectory for a particle with
some velocity v_i. I need to apply this function to the whole
distribution. My question is regarding how I should do this.

Originally what I had thought about doing is to partition the
distribution into N small bins, and associate a velocity to each bin.
My plan was then to calculate the trajectory for each velocity (=
bin), and the "output-velocity" I weigh with the original probability/
weight.

1) My first question is if this is a correct method I am using?

2) I have already implemented this is Mathematica. However, for some
distinct bins some of the "output"-velocities are the same. So I need
to figure out some way to add them up, which I don't find that easy.
My problem is to determine how close two data points have to be in
order to be binned together.

Best regards,
Niles.