Re: Mathematica on tablet computer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124001] Re: Mathematica on tablet computer
  • From: James Womack <james.c.womack at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 05:55:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jakub,

I own an Asus Transformer tablet (with Android OS) and also a Samsung
N150 Plus Intel Atom netbook. I have not been able to find a way to run
Mathematica on the tablet yet and I'm not convinced that you would
currently be able to run Mathematica on an Arm-based tablet, like the
Transformer or other Android tablets, even with Windows 8 or Linux as
the OS. I think Mathematica would have to be recompiled specifically for
Arm and I am not aware of Wolfram having done this (yet).

I use Mathematica on my Intel Atom netbook on a regular basis. It works
well on the single-core 1.6 GHz system, with 2 GB RAM, running 64-bit
Lubuntu 11.10 (Ubuntu with LXDE as the desktop environment). I think
your best bet may be to pick up a touchscreen tablet PC with an x86 CPU
on which you could run Windows or Linux. In fact, I would suggest
something like the Dell Inspiron Duo, which is a netbook/tablet PC
hybrid with more than enough power to run Mathematica 8:

https://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-duo/pd.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I am not sure how it operates in tablet mode and whether normal Windows
applications are available in this mode, though one would assume so.
Additionally, I believe the Dell Inspiron Duo is relatively compatible
with Ubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/59867/how-well-does-the-dell-inspiron-duo-work

Best regards,
James