Re: Can't use subscripted variables in function definition?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg124080] Re: Can't use subscripted variables in function definition?
- From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
- Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 04:24:30 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
On 1/7/12 at 5:25 AM, cy56 at comcast.net (Chris Young) wrote: >What is the status of subscripted variables in Mathematica now? It has not changed in version 8. >Can't they finally be used as regular variables? Yes, but not by default. You can use subscripted variables like ordinary variables using the Notation package. However, from my perspective this is more effort than it is worth. >Or is there some workaround so that they can be? This is time-honored, >very intuitive mathematical notation that should be available, IMO. Yes, it would be useful to have subscripted variables fully integrated into Mathematica. And, that may well happen in some future version. But for now, it seems to me this is simply one of the limitations Mathematica has.