Re: select 1st column element based on criteria in 2nd column in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124179] Re: select 1st column element based on criteria in 2nd column in mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:23:02 -0500 (EST)

You cannot directly select from a "table", as there is no such object in
Mathematica. You want to select from a list of 2-element lists. (You may
_display_ such a list of lists in Table form, but such a display is not
an object upon which you'd want to operate.)

So do it like this (among other ways):

  pairs = {{1,3}, {2,4}, {3,6}, {4,1}, {5,3}, {6,2}, {7,5}, {8,2}};
  First /@ Select[pairs, Last[#] > 3 &]

The Select function pulls out those pairs that satisfy your condition;
the condition is specified by the "pure function" that's the 2nd
argument to Select. Finally, mapping First (First /@ ...) onto the
result gives the first member of each pair selected.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305