how can one use mathematica get the approximate derivative of {x,y} data points?

The derivative curve you will get with Interpolation[]' can look very weird. I find I get better results using Interpolation[..., Method->"Spline"]'. The Spline function is continuous in first and second derivatives, so the resulting derivative is smoother.

Daniel