Re: opposite of AppendTo

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124340] Re: opposite of AppendTo
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:26:56 -0500 (EST)

On 1/16/2012 3:57 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 1/16/2012 6:02 AM, burke wrote:
>> AppendTo[s,e] appends "e" to "s" and then RESETS "s". How does one
>> delete or remove an element "e" from a list "s" and then RESET "s"?
>> The _reset_ is my problem.  I want to be able to add and delete
>> elements of a list (a list of graphical elements with very low
>> opacity).  I can "appendto" the list at will but am unable to delete
>> elements (using Delete, DeleteCases, Except, Select, etc.). Deleting
>> "e" from "s" is easy enough, but resetting "s" seems impossible.
>> Help!!

btw, if you do not like to use Unevaluate@ every time to pass something by
reference, then you can use the following version instead:

-------------------------
ClearAll[myDelete]
myDelete[from_, item_] := Module[{loc},
    loc = Position[from, item];
    If[Not[loc === {}], from = Delete[from, loc]]
    ];
SetAttributes[myDelete, HoldFirst];
------------------------------

and now can just call it as