OpenRead fails to open fifo (aka a pipe). Why?

I'm working with Mathematica 8 on Linux.

First, from the command line:
>>mkfifo aPipe

In Mathematica, OpenWrite["aPipe"] works like a charm. I can write to it and get the result on the command line using cat. But, OpenRead["aPipe"] fails with "OpenRead::noopen: Cannot open aPipe."

Why isn't Mathematica able to open the pipe for reading? Can anyone suggest a workaround for reading lines out of a fifo?

Thanks
-Ian