OpenRead fails to open fifo (aka a pipe). Why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124597] OpenRead fails to open fifo (aka a pipe). Why?
  • From: Ian <carroll.ian at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 03:25:25 -0500 (EST)

I'm working with Mathematica 8 on Linux.

First, from the command line:
>>mkfifo aPipe

In Mathematica, OpenWrite["aPipe"] works like a charm. I can write to it and get the result on the command line using cat. But, OpenRead["aPipe"] fails with "OpenRead::noopen: Cannot open aPipe."

Why isn't Mathematica able to open the pipe for reading? Can anyone suggest a workaround for reading lines out of a fifo?

Thanks
-Ian