OpenRead fails to open fifo (aka a pipe). Why?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg124597] OpenRead fails to open fifo (aka a pipe). Why?
- From: Ian <carroll.ian at gmail.com>
- Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 03:25:25 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Reply-to: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at googlegroups.com
I'm working with Mathematica 8 on Linux. First, from the command line: >>mkfifo aPipe In Mathematica, OpenWrite["aPipe"] works like a charm. I can write to it and get the result on the command line using cat. But, OpenRead["aPipe"] fails with "OpenRead::noopen: Cannot open aPipe." Why isn't Mathematica able to open the pipe for reading? Can anyone suggest a workaround for reading lines out of a fifo? Thanks -Ian