Re: Mapping a curve to a surface using Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124617] Re: Mapping a curve to a surface using Manipulate
  • From: Christopher Young <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:07:00 -0500 (EST)

Thanks very much, that allows me to rotate the 3D graph and resize it,
without the clicks being captured by the LocatorPane. It looks like the
problem of the clicks getting captured was due to their being two sets
of locators, one created by the LocatorPane declaration, and the other
by the manipulate listing of points. Taking out the "Locator" and
replacing it with "None" fixed this.

It's interesting to remove each Dynamic call one at a time and to see
the effect. Everything basically works if I just remove the Dynamic
wrapper for the 3D plotting. The only problem is that dragging will only
go a little way at a time. Everything is vastly slowed down. Can this be
understood as the Manipulator sending many more events to the
Show[ParametricPlot3D[=85]] unless the Dynamic is applied to "fence it
off"?

At any rate, working through these examples with this kind of assistance
is a big help.

Chris