Re: GramSchmidt function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124674] Re: GramSchmidt function
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 05:34:46 -0500 (EST)

You may want to take a look at my notebook GramSchmide.nb on my old Math
236 (Linear Algebra) course web site:

   http://www.math.umass.edu/~murray/Math_236/Files/files.html

What's done there is build the Gram Schmidt procedure in a "geometric"
way that reveals what's really going on in terms of orthogonal
projection onto vector subspaces.

It's hardly state-of-the-art from a computational view, but rather is
intended to teach not just the underlying geometric ideas but also some
basic Mathematica programming techniques, including: modularization of a
procedure and then using iteration (including doing so in a functional
way by using Fold) or recursion.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305