Evaluate code fragment without making new cell for it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127137] Evaluate code fragment without making new cell for it?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 05:25:18 -0400 (EDT)

Sometimes I wish the following feature existed in
Mathematica notebook interface, but I can't seem to
find a way to do it.

Sometimes, (while trying things) I find that I want to
evaluate small code fragment which sits in a cell that
contains more code.

Currently what I do is either copy that code fragment to
a new cell and evaluate that cell, and when done, delete
the cell, or split the original cell at places where I want
to isolate the code fragment, then rejoin the cells when
done.

It will be nice, if there was a feature, where one can just
select, using the mouse, the code fragment, and then right-click
and say evaluate-selected.

The output will go into a new output cell as normal.

btw, the above is something one can do with that other
system M____B

For example, assume we have this toy cell

---CELL-----
x = 16
Sqrt[x]
y = 3
Sqrt[y*x]
---------

And I just wanted to evaluate only

x=16
Sqrt[x]

There is no easy way to do it without splitting the
cell or making new cell as I mentioned above.

This feature should not be hard to implement by
the front end I would think.  The front end can
make an 'internal hidden cell' in its own buffer of the
code selected and evaluate it and send the output back.

Do others think such a feature will be useful?

--Nasser