Need to run Mathematica 5.2 on Windows 7 64-bit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127263] Need to run Mathematica 5.2 on Windows 7 64-bit
  • From: Alex Shvydky <alex.shvydky at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:24:32 -0400 (EDT)

Does anybody knows how to run or is successfully running
Mathematica 5.2 on 64-bit Windows 7?

I have been using Mathematica on XP since it came out and never
switched to later version for performance reasons.
Now after upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit I installed Mathematica 5.2 on
it.
The user interface works, but whenever I try to evaluate a cell or
manually launch the MathKernel it fails, reporting

MathKernel has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Interestingly, when I right-click on MathKernel.exe in the
Mathematica's
installation directory and select Properties from the menu and then
select Compatibility tab, if I select "Run this program in
compatibility mode for:"
the listbox does offer me the choice of "Windows Server 2008",
"Windows Vista",
and "Windows 7". BUT no XP!!!
If I do the same for the Mathematica user interface the drop-down list-
box does
contain various "Windows XP" compatibility options.

Thanks