Re: can one make local symbol in a pure function?

On 7/20/2012 12:54 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> I was learning a bit about pure functions.
> Suppose we have this toy exa
>
> ---------------------
> lst = {1, 2, 3};
> Map[Function[{x}, a=2; x^a], lst]

Map[  Function[{x},Module[ ...]  ...

I suggest you read Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs
by Abelson/Sussman

if you want to learn about pure functions.

Mathematica doesn't really have them.  It just has global names that
have peculiar lexicographic appendages.

Try

Module[{a},a]