Excel Headers --> Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127439] Excel Headers --> Mathematica
  • From: Nicholas Kormanik <nkormanik at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 02:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

I have a large Excel .xls file.  Miniature version shown below:

Test1   Test2
75        64
58        85
81        55
64        63
70        94
88        90
78        96
96        98
54        97
75        61

I would like to do some statistical analysis on the file in Mathematica 8.0.4.

Additionally I am using Mathematica Link for Excel 3.5.

The issue I'm now attempting to address concerns the "headers," or "column labels."

I need to tell Mathematica to disregard the headers.  I want to use each respective header, however, as the name for the "variable stream"  (Mathematica-speak for each column of data.)

What might be the best ways of dealing with such headers?

Thanks.

Nicholas Kormanik
nkormanik at gmail.com