Re: Using Fit to interpolate data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127442] Re: Using Fit to interpolate data
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 02:32:55 -0400 (EDT)

A couple of comments:

1) Fit performs a linear least squares fit; so, you initially did a
straight line fit. Do you have any reason/theory to suggest that it
should be so? Your data appear to suggest an exponential relationship.

2) The goodness of the fit depends on the goodness of the data set. Do
you have error bounds on the data points?

Also, you might comment on why you want to do the fit in the first
place. For example, are you going to do subsequent calculations with the
fit? Are the fit parameters relevant? ...

Kevin