Obtaining densest x% of a Bivariate Distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127463] Obtaining densest x% of a Bivariate Distribution
  • From: Scott Fortmann-Roe <scottfr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 03:36:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

If I have a bivariate distribution such as,

  BinomialDistribution[50, .5]

How do I obtain the polygon that encloses that densest x% of the
distribution. For example, what Mathematica functions would I use to
get the most compact polygon (which may or may not be a continuous
region and may or may not contain holes) that encloses 95% of the mass
of a bivariate normal distribution or a bivariate mixture function.

Thank you,
Scott