Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127484] Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 02:41:20 -0400 (EDT)

David,

I agree that Mathematica is quite difficult to learn, but I also think
a good teacher could make the learning process significantly easier by
going carefully over certain key points which are not emphasized in
the documentation.

For example, one of the most fascinating features of the language --
its ability to mix symbolic and numeric quantities -- can also be a
source of great confusion for the neophyte. I would spend a lot of
time talking about that and showing how useful and interesting the
results can be.

I would also go very carefully over what one must do to keep the front
end and/or kernel from going out of control, and how to recover when
that does happen.

I have a number of related ideas to help students get the feel of the
Mathematica environment before plunging in to accomplish serious work.

I would love an opportunity to teach Mathematica to a small group of
smart high schoolers or beginning undergraduates.

Ralph Dratman