Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127512] Re: Mathematica as a New Approach to Teaching Maths
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:15:37 -0400 (EDT)

I teach a  class on the subject of mathematics applied to materials science and engineering.  I use mathematica as a tool to emphasize the application of mathematics, visualization, simulation, and programming. http://pruffle.mit.edu/3.016/

I find that it serves as excellent reinforcement to concepts that they have only learned once in their mathematics curriculum.  Furthermore, believe mathematica is an excellent vehicle for doing a broad survey of many maths topics and encourages students to browse, explore, and experiment with "untaught" mathematics material.

I felt strongly that the "M"-like programs will play fundamental part in the students'  future professions.  Of the several choices, I picked mathematica because I felt that the mathematica skills were more natural with regard to mathematics. I believe that the learning curve being steeper was a net benefit as the students pick up other languages.

As a final observation, I note that students who have taken my class do use mathematica as a tool in their subsequent classes, and I do hear from graduated students that they appreciated the skills that they have learned.

W Craig Carter
Professor of Materials Science, MIT