SmoothHistogram and Legends

I am trying to put a legend on a SmoothHistogram that I generate
(Mathematica 8), using an array of 6 data sets.  I can not find a
single method for making a legend on a SmoothHistogram.  All of the
methods that work with other charts and graphics don't seem to work
with a SmoothHistogram.  Has anyone accomplished this?