Structure of "identical" data not equal in size

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg126915] Structure of "identical" data not equal in size
  • From: Paul E McHale <paulmchale at>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 03:59:02 -0400 (EDT)
(* First, the internal data and then writing it to CSV   *)
Export["Test2.csv",m, "CSV"]

(*Reading it back in *)
mIn = Import["Test2.csv", "CSV"]

(* compare data *)

>> True

(* see memory usage *)
>> 24168

>> 144040

(* what is the minimum size using reals *)
1000 * 3 * 8
>> 24000

Actual size: 24168
Read in file data: 144040

(* Size *)
ByteCount[mIn]/ByteCount[m] * 1.0
>> 5.96

Why is the "same" data taking up 6x the memory after being written to disk and read back in.  This is a serious problem as we have large data at work being shared by files and Mathematica is currently the only language that can't read it (C# being the other language).

How can they pass for equal yet internally generated takes much less memory?

Any input welcome as I can only reduce the data with an external editor so I can try to work with it.