Re: Default path for opening files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127037] Re: Default path for opening files
  • From: "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McHale at excelitas.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 04:48:21 -0400 (EDT)

> Is there any smarter way to do this?  Look forward to your helpful
> comments.

I simply use:

SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]]

This will use existing directory regardless of where notebook is.  The only caveat is you must save a new notebook at least once so it has an official
 filename.  I would like to make this the default activity but am not sure how to do it.  I am also not sure what impact it will have when multiple notebooks are open in different directories.

Other people just use:
filename = NotebookDirectory[] <> inputFileName;

This is done anytime a file is accessed.

It is almost becoming faster for me to use FileNames[] than it is to open an Explorer window to look at the current directory.  Because I am staying in Mathematica more and more, I prefer to have the directory default to current directory.

Paul

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com
www.excelitas.com

This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you