MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Creating a PDF graphic with Mathematica

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127056] Creating a PDF graphic with Mathematica
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:10:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com

Hello,

I created a PDF graphic that contains one character  (the letter A ) from the TeX Gyre Chorus font. I created the graphic using Mathematica 8.0.4.

Then I included the PDF graphic in a LaTeX document, and typeset the document correctly as a PDF file. I plan to submit the paper to an IEEE journaI.

I'm having a problem because the PDF graphic fails to pass the test of the IEEE's online graphics checker. The graphics  checker complains that the PDF graphic contains a non-standard font that is not embedded in the PDF file. The graphic displays correctly in Preview. Adobe Reader displays everything correctly except the TeX Gyre character, for which Reader substitutes a Roman A. The fact that Reader displays incorrectly the TeX Gyre character incorrectly suggests that the font is not embedded in the PDF graphic. On the other hand, Preview's correct rendering suggests that the font is embedded in the graphic.

The IEEE graphics checker also complains that other fonts such as Symbol and Times Bold are not embedded in the PDF graphic. But the Adobe Reader displays these fonts correctly.

To confuse things even more, the IEEE has a separate online "PDF checker" where one uploads the entire typeset PDF document (including all the plots). So I uploaded (1) the entire document, and (2) just the PDF graphic. Both passed the tests of the PDF checker and were approved as correct.

I tried converting the PDF graphic to EPS using an online converter to which one uploads the PDF graphic. The online converter works only with the graphics/font data contained in the PDF graphic. So all information used by the PDF -> EPS converter must reside in the graphic itself. The conversion worked well for everything except the TeX Gyre character, for which it substituted a plain A, as Adobe Reader did. This suggests that the TeX Gyre character was not embedded in the PDF graphic.

After creating a graph with the standard Mathematica Plot[ ] command, I used two methods to create the PDF graphic:

(1) Export["graphic.pdf", graph], where graph is the name of the variable I gave to the output of Plot, i.e., graph = Plot[ ];

(2) Selected the graphic image on the notebook page, then used Menu > File > Save Selection As... > select the PDF format.

Both methods produced the same results.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

How do I make sure that all the fonts are embedded in the PDF graphic?

I welcome all advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Raul Martinez

• Prev by Date: Re: Can someone read these line "aloud"
  • Next by Date: Re: Replace, ReplaceAll and If time performace comparition
  • Previous by thread: Re: needed.
  • Next by thread: Re: Creating a PDF graphic with Mathematica